Enjoy Exciting Cartagena de Indias Attractions
The Tcherassi Hotel + Spa is located in the heart of the historic city of Cartagena de Indias in Bolivar, Columbia. It is three kilometers from Rafael Nunez International Airport and near many plazas, including Iglesia Santo Toribio, Plaza Fernandez de Madrid, Plaza de Bolivar, Torre del Reloj, Plaza de San Pedro and Plaza de la Aduana. It is 109 kilometers northeast of the city of Barranquilla.
LWH Top 10 Things to do in Cartagena de Indias
San Felipe de Barajas Fortress
San Felipe de Barajas Fortress, which was originally called Castillo de San Lázaro, is the largest Spanish fort in the New World. Originally constructed in 1536, it was enlarged according to needs until 1657. Of particular interest are its main entrance, the weapons plaza, a watchtower, the residence of the Spaniard, the artillery tent, a water tender, several underground galleries, artillery placements and gunpowder stores. Although the fort was a faithful defender of the city, it once fell into the hands of the Baron de Pointis.
La Popa Convent
The hill of La Popa is one of the best Cartagena de Indias attractions and a wonderful site for visitors to admire the Heroic City from a distance. The hilltop offers a beautiful view of the Caribbean, the Island of Tierrabomba, the tourist area, the walled downtown, La Boquilla, the northern zone and the city in general. At the beginning of the 17th century, the town hall decided that a convent should be built on the top of the hill for church members who helped clear and clean the area. Fray Alonso de La Cruz Paredes, who was the superior of the monastery, supposedly received a divine message that entrusted him with the foundation and construction of the Convent of the Order of Saint Augustine. It was to be built at the top of the nearest hill to the city of Cartagena de Indias. Thus, the Convent of Nuestra Señora de La Candelaria was founded. The wooden church, which was later replaced by one made with stronger materials, was used as a fortress during the independence and civil wars of the 19th century. It was abandoned and later restored in 1964 by the Augustinian religious order. Today, it is one of the most visited places in Cartagena de Indias.
Church and Monastery San Pedro Claver
Constructed at the beginning of the 17th century by the Jesuits, the Church, which includes the name of the defender/protector of the slaves, is also known as "Slave of the Slaves" and "Apostle of the Black." San Pedro Claver lived in this monastery until his last days in Cartagena de Indias. There is also an archeological museum on the property.
Palace of Inquisition
The Palace of Inquisition is considered one of the typical houses of civil architecture of the Cartagena de Indias of the 18th century. In September 1610, the Inquisition of Cartagena de Indias was installed with the Court of Punishments of the Saint Office, which had its seat here. The Saint Office remained in Cartagena de Indias until 1811 when the independence movement broke and the inquisitors were expelled. The facade of the Palacio de la Inquisición as well as the grates in its lower part and the balconies in the superior floor are characteristic of the colonial houses of the city. The main entrance is baroque style with mixed line moldings.
Church of Santo Domingo
Founded in 1551, the Church of Santo Domingo is the oldest church in Cartagena de Indias. The convent, which was initially made out of hay and located at today’s Plaza de los Coches, was destroyed by a fire which consumed the entire city. It was then moved to where it stands today. Highlighted on its facade at the main entrance are an image of Santo Domingo in the center, two lateral windows and the convex frieze. Inside is a baroque altar with an image of Christ carved in 19th century wood and an image of the Virgin with a crown in gold and emeralds.
The Gold Museum contains the most beautiful testimonial of the Zenú culture. Through its numerous rooms, the visitor will be able to appreciate the manifestations of this indigenous group. The collection is made up of 538 gold work pieces, 61 ceramic pieces, 12 lithic pieces, 48 shell pieces and 6 bone pieces. The Gold Museum has been symbolized by the city and the region as a cohesive creative, didactic and economical and cultural effort. Multiple cultural initiatives have been generated from its activity by the Banco de la República.
Las Bovedas is located between the forts of Santa Clara and Santa Catalina and is the last project of the colony located within the walled city. It has 47 arches and 23 vaults. During the colonial times, it was used for military purposes. During the independence, it served as a jail. It has now been restored and features handcrafts and antiques stores, bars and galleries.
Plaza de Bolívar
Originally known as Plaza de la Iglesia, later as Plaza Mayor, Plaza de Bolivar was the place where great military acts were presented. But, in 1610, when the Saint Inquisition Tribunal was installed in Cartagena de Indias, it took the name of Plaza de la Inquisición. The park used to be where bullfights took place. On November 11, 1896, it was inaugurated as the park where the Libertador Simón Bolivar statue would be placed, and today honors his name as Plaza de Bolivar.
This is one of the future sites of tourist development of Cartagena de Indias. Baru Island sports beautiful white sandy beaches, clear waters, channels surrounded by manglars and multicolored corals. You can get there by land by crossing the Canal del Dique at Pasacaballos (route to mamonal) or by sea crossing the Bay of Cartagena. .
This small and charming coral archipelago, located south of the Bay of Cartagena, is only one hour away by boat. Its crystal clear waters and multicolors are wonderful for recreational diving or just soaking in the sun and enjoying the marvelous landscape.